Friday, August 20, 2010

Due to overwhelming demand....

... actually, just because Brittney asked, I am posting some projects I've been working on. Here are some from this summer.

When my niece was here, we bought her a cute skirt from DownEast:Then we decided she needed another one, so we chose this fabric and I made this skirt pattern off the DownEast one. It was lined and used interfacing, so it was a little challenging but turned out pretty well: And of course M had to get something out of the sewing frenzy: (I just made this up. I had seen something similar sewn by Aunt Penny, but didn't have a pattern.)Going back to June, I made this "Father's Day Garland" for my babies' daddy. (the shirt is a basic origami shirt pattern found here and then I personalized it by making them look like three shirts he actually owns.)
A couple of years ago, I found a hideous attempt at home decor while thrift shopping. I came close to throwing it away many times, but finally got around to making something out of it. Here it is as I found it:And here's what I ended up doing with it. It's amazing what a little paint, some sanding, and some chalkboard paint can do! (it was just a cupboard door to begin with, but I liked the proportions.)In the middle of another sewing frenzy, I made my offspring each a "coloring bag." The amazing thing about these bags is that, once completed, they have actually inspired the children to color! Each bag holds 5 or 6 coloring books and a 24-pack of crayons:The most ambitious project I tackled from my kitchen table was, ironically, the kitchen table itself. Before, I had a rectangle table which was graciously loaned to me by a cousin. I also had four wood chairs which happened to match the loaner table. Here is the original state of the chairs. Functional, but they don't do a thing for me:But after a few (actually about a million) coats of paint, and a $25 thrifted table, here is my "new" eating/crafting surface:
That's: sanding, priming, 2 coats of black base coat and three coats of acrylic topcoat. It took weeks to finish. Never again....

2 comments:

  1. You totally ROCK!!!!! I love your new blog, and the title fits perfectly, it was made for blogland my friend. That garland you made by the way is so freaking adorable, you are such an over achiever I can't believe you personalized the shirts to match ones your hubby has! Seriously you rock! So.... now all you need is a tutorial on how to make those freaking cute coloring bags!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I said before...

    By the way, M is adorable and I LOVE what you've done with your dining room!

    ReplyDelete